The HireMojo Team
The Senior Director will be the senior manager of the Google Lunar X PRIZE, leading the competition’s operations, implementing inspirational outreach programs, building an engaged community, and driving the competition to success. The Senior Director must be a driven self-starter, team player, and able communicator with a deep belief in the mission of the Google Lunar X PRIZE.
Primary responsibilities are:
• Public Education and Engagement
o Lead the development and execution of the marketing, education, and public outreach strategy and programs for the Google Lunar X PRIZE.
o Create and execute against marketing, communications, and outreach plans.
o Coordinate development and enhancement of Google Lunar X PRIZE messaging, branding, community, and online presence.
• Operations and Program Management
o Provide leadership and managerial direction to the Google Lunar X PRIZE team.
o Set and execute Google Lunar X PRIZE vision, strategies, and objectives.
o Secure, retain, and effectively and economically manage needed personnel, materials, and resources in order to manage the prize.
o Manage the prize competition, judging, and events.
o Create and execute against business and project, marketing and fundraising plans. As needed, update plans to reflect new information, actual performance and changes in expectations and assumptions.
o Ensure the competition is conducted in line with prize goals, rules, master team agreement, and other processes.
o Ensure Foundation, Sponsor, Donor, and Partner requirements are met.
o With the X PRIZE executive team, execute a strategy to secure the necessary operational funds for the competition with X PRIZE executive team.
o Retain and promote teams registered to compete for the Google Lunar X PRIZE.
• Industry and Government Relations
o Liaise with the space industry and relevant government agencies to build awareness of the competition
o Secure advanced market commitments for the services and technology of competing teams, address relevant regulatory issues, and establish partnerships that aid competing teams in their attempts to achieve the goals of the competition
Additional responsibilities include:
• Liaise with stakeholders, other departments, and Foundation management to ensure timely response to changing needs, requirements, issues, and direction.
• Identify experts, consultants, and advisors to support the prize on a temporary and/or contract basis.
• Authorize expenditures within budgetary limits; Develop and implement cost control measures and processes.
• Monitor and report on progress to plan and budget, including risks and risk mitigation strategies.
• Monitor and report on prize competition to stakeholders and constituents including X PRIZE executive management, advisory boards, industry, sponsors, donors, etc.
• Act as one of the public faces of the prize through interviews, appearance at industry conferences, speaking engagements, blogging, and other public outreach activities.
• Organize, host, and participate in large and small events during the competition, for the awarding of the prize, and post-competition.
• Manage the creation, budget, and delivery against requirements of all contracts for the prize including those with sponsors, donors, partners, consultants, vendors, and contractors.
• Facilitate intra-team communications and meetings; manage team’s knowledge management systems and processes.
• Conduct Team Summits to provide valuable information about the competition to teams.
KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES
• Level of public awareness, engagement, and education related to the competition.
• Adherence to Google Lunar X PRIZE plans, objectives, and budgets.
• Effective management of Google Lunar X PRIZE personnel.
• Satisfaction of sponsor and donor goals and requirements.
• Undergraduate degree (business administration, marketing, communications, science, or engineering preferred)
• Deep understanding of the growing commercial space industry.
• Proven success in creating and implementing broad marketing, education, and outreach programs that engage and inspire general public and students.
• Seven to ten years of senior level Program Management experience, successfully leading large, complex programs and meeting the critical business objectives of those projects and programs.
• Executive level presentation and facilitation skills.
• Clear, precise, and concise written and verbal communication skills (writing samples will be requested).
• A natural focus on responsive and personable relationship management.
• Skill in interacting with all levels of business people within major corporations, government agencies, and educational institutions.
• Experience with contract negotiation and management.
• Advanced knowledge of MS Outlook, MS Project, and MS Office Suite, especially MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• MBA or other advanced business degree strongly preferred but not required.
• Experience in fundraising from individuals, foundations, corporations, and government agencies.
• Experience in corporate sponsorships.
• Experience in communications and public relations.
• Experience in government relations.
• Experience using Salesforce or other similar contact management tools.
• Flexibility to grow with the organization and assume new and expanded responsibilities.
GENERAL ABILITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
• Self-starter who takes the initiative to start projects, work unsupervised, complete tasks independently, solve roadblocks, and address issues before they become problems.
• Ability to work successfully with a variety of constituencies and personalities in a collaborative environment; appreciation and enjoyment of working as part of a team.
• Exceptional organizational abilities; aggressive attention to detail and ability to multi-task with rigorous time management.
• Ability to perform and succeed in a dynamic matrix environment.
• “Entrepreneurial” aptitude that can drive to success in resource constrained environments.
• Ability to quickly learn about and use new software, technology, and processes (“early adopter”).
• Ability to thrive and think creatively and calmly in highly fluid situations and under intense schedules and deadlines.
• Personable, professional, and calm demeanor.
• Ability to show initiative and complete tasks independently.
• Patience and flexibility.
• Strong interpersonal skills and can-do attitude; ability to work well with different skill sets and personal styles.
• Sense of humor and work-life balance.