The HireMojo Team
This is important work serving as receptionist for both visitors and callers, as well as performing general clerical work and certain more specialized duties. Duties include answering incoming phone calls, greeting and receiving visitors, computer input and support function. Work requires independent action and judgment to be used within established guidelines while emphasizing customer service. It requires public contact during which administrative actions or regulations are explained. Work will be performed under supervision. Responsible for seeing total reception function is kept organized and operating efficiently.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
The statements contained here reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload. The functions listed are also examples of duties that may be required and in no way imply a contractual agreement between the employer and employee or affect the at-will relationship between the parties.
- Answers all incoming phone calls and directs them to the proper individual within the Authority.
- Answers general questions pertaining to various Authority programs when required.
- Greets visitors in a friendly manner and assists them, including directing them to the proper individual within the Authority, seeing that someone addresses their question(s)/concern(s), and providing them with the information they need.
- Handles all phone calls and visitors in a positive, cordial and effective manner.
- Accepts applications, etc. delivered to the office, records them as appropriate and delivers to the proper individual.
- Operates standard office equipment as needed to perform clerical duties, computer input and other tasks.
- Create and maintains Housing Choice Voucher Program files for both clients and landlords and ensures all files are accounted for. Periodically reviews files to ensure they are in proper order, etc. Assists with other files as assigned.
- Assists other areas, such as Housing Choice Voucher Program by performing assigned tasks that involve processing documents, responding to information requests, and organizing informational data, filing documents in client files, and scanning documents.
- Maintains computer tracking spreadsheet of all incoming paperwork.
- Daily reviews reception area, which includes the lobby and entrances, and makes sure it is organized, fully stocked, neat, orderly, and conveys a positive impression. At the end of the day reviews the area, makes sure everything is in order.
- Attends work with regularity and punctually and recognizes that attendance is an essential duty and responsibility of this position.
- Delivers messages, maintains files and correspondence, forms, reports and related materials in established filing system, etc.
- Prepares and maintains various Housing Authority Forms.
- Works to ensure the Authority provides good customer service to callers and visitors.
- Maintains sign-in and sign-out roster, as assigned.
- Performs various tasks that can be done at the assigned work area.
- Handles combined duties of phone and front desk efficiently, emphasizing good customer service.
- Assists different departments with work assignments, including volunteering.
- Advises supervisor of operational problems and suggests improvements to enhance functions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with sensitive topics and/or irate customers.
- Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; Manages difficult or sensitive customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming. Maintains confidentiality. Listens to others without interrupting.
- Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Puts success of team above own interests.
- Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Some knowledge of business English, office practices and procedures.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to make work related decisions in accordance with rules, regulations, departmental policies and operating procedures.
- Ability to function occasionally under stressful situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively on the phone and in person and to do so in a pleasant, cheerful manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively using email.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and with the public.
- Ability to use computer keyboard for accurate input and knowledge of computer input.
- Ability to operate office equipment.
- Must be able to stay at the assigned work area for the full working day fulfilling job responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associates degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration or a closely related field.
- At least two (2) years’ experience in general office and clerical/computer work and experience with operating a switchboard and/or as a front desk receptionist.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and walk. While the work is primarily sedentary, walking, standing, bending, and carrying of items such as books, binders, files, and documents is required. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be bondable.
The Decatur Housing Authority was established in 1938 with its primary focus being on building housing for low income households. Over the years, the Housing Authority has expanded its focus to include the revitalization of the Decatur community as a whole through the renewal and redevelopment of substandard housing, as well as improving facilities in the downtown area. The Authority is now expanding its efforts to revitalize & redevelop into the newly designated Columbia Park area of East Decatur.