The HireMojo Team
BHP seeks an experienced real estate developer to work within the Development Department as a senior project manager. The position will work point on several upcoming BHP pipeline projects with both autonomy to manage projects while being well supported by the Director of Real Estate Development and the Development Team. Previous affordable housing tax credit experience is a mandatory minimum requirement. The successful candidate will have a depth of experience with 4% and 9% tax credit financial transactions, construction management experience, and the ability to source deals independently.
OVERALL JOB OBJECTIVE:
Under the general direction of the Director of Real Estate Development, to plan and implement the development program and strategies of BHP that include acquiring property for land banking or new construction, acquiring existing apartment complexes, managing complex new development opportunities for the organization, and creating partnerships with other organizations for the development of affordable housing. This position will provide technical resources to the Board of Commissioners, Executive Director and the Director of Real Estate Development with respect to zoning, City regulations and processes, and on local and regional housing policy initiatives. This is a position of responsibility and will work independently to source and manage real estate development projects to further the mission of Boulder Housing Partners.
1. Works closely with the Development Director to acquire existing housing, develop new units and redevelop current assets to expand or improve the current affordable housing portfolio, consistent with the Strategic Plan, which may include the following:
- Manages and coordinates the design, development and finance related work of multi-disciplinary teams of consultants during pre-development and construction of affordable housing projects.
- Analyzes project financial feasibility and evaluates ongoing project financial performance, including the development and maintenance of complex multi-phase proformas and budgets. Deal structures may include affordable, market-rate, or commercial components and rely on both public and private sources, so the ability to research and test different financing strategies is key.
- Represents BHP, helping to build and strengthen relationships with city officials, non-profit clients and other decision makers.
- Ability to analyze and test proformas given changing market conditions and constructions costs. Ability to problem solve and provide recommendations independently.
- Provides technical expertise regarding various local, state, and national affordable housing programs, including low-income housing tax credits and bond financing. Preparation of appropriate applications for funding resources.
- Reviews legal documents, including partnership and consultant agreements, to ensure key business terms are captured.
- Reviews architectural and construction documents.
- Continues project management tasks through construction completion and lease-up, to include quality-control, schedule, and requisition and change order processing.
- Manages part- and or full-time interns.
- Designs and implement community outreach and communication plans for current projects.
- Prepares regular project updates and requests for action to Board of Commissioners, City of Boulder Housing Division and Planning Board as needed.
- Works on renovation work involving tax credit financing for existing BHP properties.
2. Immediate Project Responsibility
- The position will begin working immediately on a project known as 30Pearl. This will be a fast-paced affordable housing project that needs entitled and financed by November 2019.
- Other projects include tax credit closings for an acquisition rehab project known as Glen Willow and Canyon Pointe and a new construction project known as Canopy@Red Oak Park. Both projects will need senior level support.
3. Other Requirements
- Looking for the right individual that works well in a team and who also works well independently. Must have a great work ethic and understands the need for self-care.
- Recent, relevant prior affordable housing development experience required. Ability to think critically and strategically and work with a sense of urgency when needed.
- Continually updates and maintains current job knowledge of applicable local, city, state and federal projects, laws, programs, and processes, market conditions, projects, etc.
- Takes proper safety precautions, anticipates unsafe circumstances, and acts accordingly to prevent accidents. Responsible for the safety of self, others, materials, and equipment. Uses all required safety equipment.
Degree in Business Administration, Management, Planning, Architecture or related field and three years progressively responsible experience managing community development or housing projects, development and implementation, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Real Estate, Administration, Architecture, or related field and five plus years of relevant experience working in real estate development, planning, architecture, community development or construction management. Has closed real estate financial transactions using affordable housing tools including the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Program. Knowledge of legal issues and constraints of planning, contract and real estate development and financing. Experience with City of Boulder’s planning approval system and building requirements.
Strong financial and analytical skills, including experience with financial modeling. Demonstrated leadership and negotiation skills. Experience in a team approach to development and conflict resolution strategies. Familiarity with HUD programs and regulations and statistics/research methodology for research design and interpretation. Excellent interpersonal, oral and written skills required. Ability and willingness to attend evening meetings and work a flexible schedule based on job demands. An acceptable background checks.
Salary: Compensation will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits provided. Salary range: $76,000 - $95,000 DOQ.
Customer Service: Boulder Housing Partners is committed to hiring employees who provide excellent customer service. Our employees communicate courteously and responsively with the public, volunteers, and co-workers, are sensitive to diversity issues, provide effective and efficient service to the public and co-workers and act with a high level of integrity, and take responsibility for their words and actions.
Inclusivity: BHP has a deep commitment to diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer. Company policy prohibits discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. We support and promote equal employment opportunity, human dignity, and racial, ethnic, and cultural diversity by taking positive steps to eliminate barriers that may exist in hiring and in employment practices.
CHAIN OF SUPERVISION:
(1) TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Development Director
(2) TITLE(S) OF POSITION(S) OVER WHICH THIS POSITION HAS DIRECT SUPERVISION: None MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT USED IN WORK INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, THE FOLLOWING:
Personal computer, telephone, photocopy machine, facsimile machine, and calculator.
Founded in 1966, Boulder Housing Partners (BHP) is the Housing Authority for the City of Boulder. Our goal is to make living in Boulder possible and affordable, regardless of income. We are committed to fostering a healthy sense of community in every property we develop and manage. We are an inclusive organization that operates creatively, decisively, and effectively with strong and consistent values and an understanding that housing is as much about people as it is about place.