The HireMojo Team
East Central College has an opening for a Technical Theatre Instructor responsible for providing effective learning strategies and experiences in the classroom and laboratory for students with diverse interests, abilities, and expectations. This position requires a background in scenic design, lighting design, and/or sound design, technical direction, and construction of all academic year department productions.
Minimum Qualifications: (A comparable amount of training, education or experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
- Master's degree with a major in the subject field to be taught, or a master's degree in a related field with 18 graduate credit hours in the subject field to be taught, or higher.
Essential Tasks: (Employee must be able to perform the following essential functions to the satisfaction of the employee’s supervisor.)
- Teach thirty (30) semester credit hours (or the equivalent in lab, studio, clinical, etc. hours) each academic year.
- Participate in developing course and/or program curriculum, standards and policies in collaboration with core faculty, Dean, and/or Department Chairperson.
- Develop course curriculum, handouts, lectures, labs, presentations; and maintain course outlines, syllabi, printed, and non-printed instructional materials.
- Use current technology to enhance instructional and institutional effectiveness including but not limited to computers, computer-assisted instruction programs, and audio visual equipment, and be willing to learn and apply any other new technology necessary to enhance learning.
- Participate in course and/or program level assessment including development of learning outcomes and measures, evaluating student performance, and recommending improvement measures.
- Maintain student/attendance/grade/discipline records as required by the College; keep appropriate course/department/program/division records, as required by the College.
- Conduct college business in a professional and ethical manner that includes the College’s core values of integrity, diversity, empowerment, service, learning and collaboration.
- Perform assigned responsibilities, other related duties, and tasks according to established practices, procedures, techniques, and standards in a safe manner and with minimal supervision.
Technical Theatre Instructor Tasks
- Create and supervise set strike for all academic year Theater productions.
- Develop working drawings and complete set designs for all academic year Theater productions.
- Recruit, assign, educate, and assist all crews for all academic year Theater productions.
- Provide instruction as necessary to Theatre crews to develop and enhance their technical skills and ensure safety.
- Execute construction of set designs in a timely manner with the assistance of student crews.
- Attend and assist with all technical rehearsals for all academic year Theater productions.
- Manage production budgets in conjunction with other department faculty and staff to cover cost of set construction, paint, equipment, furniture, and props.
- Coordinate acquisition of scenic elements through borrowing, rental, or purchase.
- Possess a strong working knowledge of the principles and techniques of Theatre production, stage management, sound design, lighting, and stagecraft.
- Possess a strong working knowledge of safety procedures and practices as applied to Theatre and staging production.
- Possess a strong working knowledge of a variety of construction trades such as carpentry, electronics, welding, electrical, and painting; safety requirements necessary in the operation of stage equipment such as draperies, curtains, counterweight systems, rigging, lighting, and sound equipment.
- Schedule, supervise, debrief, and evaluate Theatre student workers and student Theatre crews.
View Faculty job description here.
View Technical Theatre Instructor job description here.
Benefits: ECC offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision and life insurance with no premium cost to the employee. Retirement benefits, generous paid leave, tuition waiver and tuition reimbursement benefits.
Salary will commensurate with experience.
East Central College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
East Central College is located about 60 minutes from St. Louis. Currently, more than 2,500 students are enrolled in a transfer or technical education program. For more information about East Central College visit, www.eastcentral.edu.
East Central College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Inquiries related to employment practices may be directed to Human Resources Director at 636-584-6710. East Central College is an equal opportunity employer and provider of employment and training services. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.