East Central College has an opening for a full-time Art & Design Instructor to prepare and teach courses in the field of Foundations & Studio Art (Drawing, 2-D Design, and other studio foundation courses as needed by the department) to a diverse student population based on the department's approved course learning outcomes, utilizing a variety of instructional strategies appropriate to the needs of community college students and the standards of the discipline.
Special consideration will be given to those who can also teach additional courses in the area of printmaking or digital studio art foundations.
Primary responsibilities include teaching at Foundations levels to a mix of majors and non-majors. Course load will include Drawing 1, 2, 3 (with a focus on observational drawing), 2D Design course, Art Appreciation and potentially additional 2D studio courses.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: (A comparable amount of training, education or experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree in studio art, Digital Media, or Graphic Design.
- Community college teaching experience preferred
- Portfolio submitted with examples of both applicant and student work through WeTransfer.com*
- Evidence of effective college-level teaching and the ability to create inclusive learning environments for an increasingly diverse student body.
- Ability to teach drawing at the Foundations level with an emphasis on observation and contemporary approaches.
- Ability to teach printmaking and/or digital design, including the Adobe CC software, addressing a range of technical and conceptual approaches from historical to contemporary practice.
- Ability to teach Art Appreciation, lecture course for non-majors.
- Understanding of what it means to teach in a community college environment that serves often underprepared and underrepresented students.
ESSENTIAL TASKS: Employee must be able to perform the following essential functions to the satisfaction of the employee’s supervisor.
- Teach thirty (30) semester credit hours (or the equivalent in lab, studio, clinical, etc. hours) each academic year and maintain 7 office hours per week (as approved) for the purpose of assisting students.
- Conduct all classes in accordance with an established and current course syllabus, submitted following established guidelines each semester, and approved textbook (and/or related instructional material).
- Maintain student/attendance/grade/discipline records as required by the College; keep appropriate course/department/program/division records, as required by the College.
- Assist in conducting program review; plan, develop and implement activities in support of the Higher Learning Commission, or other agency, accreditation guidelines with regard to student academic achievement (assessment) and their success on outcomes (institutional effectiveness).
- Competency in technology, both instructional/classroom and standard office-type software.
- Instructor may teach a combination of day and/or evening courses. May include teaching on campus and at offsite location in Rolla.
- Communicate effectively in a professional, tactful and courteous manner with students, fellow faculty and staff, and the general public.
- Perform assigned responsibilities, duties, and tasks according to established practices, procedures, techniques, and standards in a safe manner and with minimal supervision.
To view full job description, click here.
Benefits: ECC offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision and life insurance with no premium cost to the employee for employee only coverage. Retirement benefits, generous paid leave, tuition waiver and tuition reimbursement benefits.
Minimum Starting Salary: $36,961 (nine-month contract of approximately 172 working days); will commensurate with education and years of experience.
*Tips for using WeTransfer.com
1. Make sure to use the free version
2. Click the “I accept” button, the “I agree” to terms of service
3. Fill in your email address & email@example.com
4. Drag & drop your files into the window
5. Click “transfer”
You will receive a confirmation email to tell you that the files were sent successfully. You will also receive an email once the files have been downloaded.
East Central College is located about 60 minutes from St. Louis. Currently, more than 2,500 students are enrolled in a transfer or technical education program. For more information about East Central College visit, www.eastcentral.edu.
East Central College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Inquiries related to employment practices may be directed to Human Resources Director at 636-584-6710. East Central College is an equal opportunity employer and provider of employment and training services. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.