East Central College has an opening for a full-time English Instructor at the Rolla location. Instructor is expected to develop an active learning environment with use of effective instructional technology.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: (A comparable amount of training, education or experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
- Master’s degree in English or a master’s degree with at least 18 GSH in a combination of the qualifying fields which may include, English, Creative Writing, Journalism, Literature, Technical Writing, Rhetoric and Composition, Writing Studies, English Education, Liberal Studies.
- Degree/experience includes an emphasis in Composition/Rhetoric.
- Community college teaching experience preferred.
- Experience teaching English Composition I or II preferred.
- Familiarity with teaching developmental education or willingness to seek appropriate professional development.
- Ability to function both independently and collaboratively.
- Knowledge of best practices in assessment.
- Include at least one letter of recommendation with resume.
ESSENTIAL TASKS: Employee must be able to perform the following essential functions to the satisfaction of the employee’s supervisor.
- Primary focus will include teaching developmental coursework (reading and intro writing), composition, and literature in person at the Rolla location.
- Teach thirty (30) semester credit hours (or the equivalent in lab, studio, clinical, etc. hours) each academic year and maintain 7 office hours per week (as approved) for the purpose of assisting students.
- Conduct all classes in accordance with an established and current course syllabus, submitted following established guidelines each semester, and approved textbook (and/or related instructional material).
- Maintain student/attendance/grade/discipline records as required by the College; keep appropriate course/department/program/division records, as required by the College.
- Assist in conducting program review; plan, develop and implement activities in support of the Higher Learning Commission, or other agency, accreditation guidelines with regard to student academic achievement (assessment) and their success on outcomes (institutional effectiveness).
- Competency in technology, both instructional/classroom and standard office-type software.
- Instructor may teach a combination of day and/or evening courses. May include teaching on campus and at offsite location in Rolla.
- Communicate effectively in a professional, tactful and courteous manner with students, fellow faculty and staff, and the general public.
- Perform assigned responsibilities, duties, and tasks according to established practices, procedures, techniques, and standards in a safe manner and with minimal supervision.
To view full job description, click here.
Benefits: ECC offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision and life insurance with no premium cost to the employee for employee only coverage. Retirement benefits, generous paid leave, tuition waiver and tuition reimbursement benefits.
Minimum Starting Salary: $38,439 (nine-month contract of approximately 172 working days); will commensurate with education and years of experience.
Start date: Fall 2022
East Central College is located about 60 minutes from St. Louis. Currently, more than 2,500 students are enrolled in a transfer or technical education program. For more information about East Central College visit, www.eastcentral.edu.
East Central College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Inquiries related to employment practices may be directed to Human Resources Director at 636-584-6710. East Central College is an equal opportunity employer and provider of employment and training services. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.