This is responsible staff work involving maintaining regulatory compliance for public and assisted housing units. Regulatory programs that are managed by DHA's Compliance Manager include, but are not limited to; Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), Project-Based Section 8 (PBRA), and other tenant subsidy or project based programs. The Compliance Manager performs internal tenant file and quality control audits, conducts departmental compliance training and provides administrative support to the Property Management Department. In addition to ensuring that compliance of all programs is maintained, the Compliance Manager is responsible for taking and processing applications for admission into public and assisted housing units, assisting the Property Management Director (PMD) with designated assignments, in addition to other administrative duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The statements contained here reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload. The functions listed are also examples of duties that may be required and in no way imply a contractual agreement between the employer and employee or affect the at-will relationship between the parties.
- Receives, processes, and maintains initial housing applications for Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), Public Housing, and Site-Based Section 8 programs.
- Determines initial eligibility and ensures continued eligibility is maintained for assisted housing programs.
- Assists PMD with assessing, enhancing and/or improving operations of the Property Management Department.
- Performs detailed internal audits of tenant files and notifies PMD of file deficiencies for staff correction within an allotted time frame.
- Reviews, prepares, and makes necessary updates, revisions and/or amendments to policies (PBRA/RAD, Admin Plan, etc.) and departmental procedures, as needed and as required pursuant to necessary regulatory program requirements.
- Creates, updates, and revises forms and documents, as needed.
- Updates flat rent, maximum rent, and income limit schedules for all assisted programs, as updated and/or required by HUD annually.
- Prepares and submits monthly compliance activity reportsTRAC Submission for payment to AMD.
- Drafts and prepares notification letters to residents, regarding updates/changes in policies, as required.
- Processes tenant refund requests and finalizes move-out files for all sites.
- Receives and collects payments received from former tenants who have an established repayment agreement.
- Gathers and prepares necessary documentation for regulatory compliance audit reviews and promptly prepares responses to address any compliance findings, submitting to the Property Management Director for review prior to submission to auditing agency.
- Coordinates and prepares agendas, notification letters and/or emails, and other related documents for departmental and resident meetings.
- Ensures that the necessary Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) reports are maintained and monitored, as required by HUD.
- Assist Property Management staff with completion of annual and interim income certifications, as needed.
- Provide office support and back-up to Property Management staff in absence of Property Manager and/or other administrative staff.
- Processes monthly transmission of HUD 50058 data to HUD’s Public and Indian Housing Information Center (PIC) system, reviews reports and review and identifies errors for correction and re-submission, ensuring that a high reporting percentage rate is maintained at all times.
- Processes monthly transmission of HUD HAP Voucher to HUD’s Tenant Rental Assistance Certification System (TRACS), reviews reports and reviews and identifies errors for correction and re-submission, ensuring that a high reporting percentage rate is maintained at all times.
- Updates and maintains monthly data entries in DCA's Emphasys system and reviews reports for missing and/or inaccurate data, ensuring that all LIHTC certification compliance activity is maintained.
- Coordinates and conducts compliance training and orientation for Property Management administrative staff.
- Coordinates and schedules in-house training opportunities with outside agencies that benefit Property Management and other department staff.
- Prepare training and travel requests and expense reports for all Property Management staff.
- Directly supports the Property Management Director and Property Manager II and assists with special assignments/projects related to compliance, and other areas of Property Management.
- Provides software support and resolves departmental software issues.
- Schedule and conduct pre-screening and eligibility interviews for waiting list applicants (performs credit checks, background checks, review income eligibility, etc.)
- Maintains application files up to date and in accordance with HUD and DHA policies, preferences and priorities.
- Notifies applicants of their eligibility, ineligibility, and waiting list status.
- Schedules informal conferences for ineligible waiting list applicants.
- Maintains an organized applicant filing system and electronic records in computer software of applications, applicant information updates, waiting lists, etc.
- Schedules waiting list purge/updates as directed by the Property Management Director, to maintain a current updated waiting list.
- Assists in the management of pests and vermin (including but not limited to Bed Bugs, Roaches, Fleas, and rodents) by proper observation, reporting, and follow-up.
- Attends work with regularity and punctually and recognizes that attendance is an essential duty and responsibility of this position.
- Maintain current active certifications and/or affordable housing designations, ensuring knowledge of changes and updates in requirements of all assisted housing programs.
- Sends correspondence relating to the application process, including income verification and previous landlord reference.
- Builds and maintains positive relations with applicants, residents, agencies, and others.
- Responds promptly and courteously to applicant requests for information and status updates.
- Assists supervisor, including providing back up for other departmental staff and supervisors, as assigned.
- Works cooperatively with all departments and staff to insure a programs' successful operation.
- Assists in the development of forms and documents and reproduces and distributes as needed.
- Assists in resolving applicant/resident/recipient problems.
- Generates timely computerized reports and manual reports.
- Update waiting lists when regulations change and within dictated time frames.
- Answers phone and incoming emails and provide responses to the public for questions in a routine nature.
- Serves as regular front desk backup and special backup.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with sensitive topics and/or irate customers.
- Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; Manages difficult or sensitive customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting.
- Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests.
- Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions;
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform general office work.
- Ability to work and make decision independently.
- Ability to communicate positively and effectively with applicants and residents, with fellow employees, outside agencies and governmental bodies.
- Ability to maintain diverse activities in an orderly well-coordinated manner.
- Ability to make schedules for interviews.
- Detailed knowledge of computer operations, software and input.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from an accredited high school. Minimum completion of either:
- At least two (2) years of college or graduation from a business or vocational school, or
- Equivalent amount of specialized, related training in property management, tax credit compliance, assisted housing programs, or similar.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in property management, housing assistance program, or a related real estate business similar to the position requirements.
- Extensive experience in low income housing tax credit compliance is a position requirement.
- Experience in affordable housing programs is desired.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
This position is required to work in an office setting that is generally accessible to the mobility and sensory impaired. The incumbent must have the ability to utilize standard office equipment and assess files and documents. The incumbent must have the ability to lift up to 20 pounds. Must be able to work while seated for extended periods of time.
- Must be bondable.
- Possession of a valid State of Georgia Driver’s License.
- HCCP and COS Certification will be required within six months of employment.
The Decatur Housing Authority was established in 1938 with its primary focus being on building housing for low income households. Over the years, the Housing Authority has expanded its focus to include the revitalization of the Decatur community as a whole through the renewal and redevelopment of substandard housing, as well as improving facilities in the downtown area. The Authority is now expanding its efforts to revitalize & redevelop into the newly designated Columbia Park area of East Decatur.