The Stanford University Program in Oxford seeks a committed and enthusiastic postgraduate student to live with and mentor Stanford University students at the Stanford House in Oxford as Assistant Junior Dean. The ideal candidate will have previous peer leadership experience, knowledge of first aid as well as leadership experience in a communal living setting. The Junior Assistant Dean will be appointed for an 11-month period from 1 September 2022 to 31 July 2023 with a possible extension for a further 12 months to 31 July 2024.
The Assistant Junior Dean supports the Junior Dean as the two key staff members out of hours for students’ residential life at Stanford House in Oxford. The Junior Deans live in the student residence and, under the supervision of the Student Services Administrator and Facilities Manager, help to build a strong, safe and healthy residential learning community, which complements and extends students’ classroom and experiential learning.
The Assistant Junior Dean is compensated with accommodation in the student residence, program related travel expenses, and a monthly stipend of £2181, potentially rising to £3762 with optional overtime work.
- Work together with the Junior Dean, Academic & Student Services Administrator, and Facilities Manager to help residents take responsibility for their residence community.
- Assist with maintaining order in the residence by encouraging open and honest communication and responsible student conduct.
- Be sensitive to the needs of individuals in the residence, and help residents be aware of each other’s concerns.
- Promote the intellectual life of the residence through informal discussions about campus, national and international issues (including culture, values, beliefs, society and ethics).
- Assist center staff with residence orientation, safety and security briefings.
- Provide first-aid treatment to students and follow established protocols for the escalation of student illness and injury concerns.
- Inform staff of serious issues and challenges in the residence.
- Spend 33 evenings during each term in the residence from 8 pm to 12 midnight, being available to students during evening hours. These nights are determined based on the Junior Dean’s required nights off.
- Oversee student social events at Stanford House, including nightly checks of public hallways, kitchenettes, stairwells and bathrooms should events be taking place when on duty.
- Report maintenance and cleanliness issues to cleaning contractor and/or Stanford site staff; meet contractors on site as needed.
- Be reachable and ready to respond to student concerns when on duty. In the event of an emergency, respond promptly and work with the Director and other staff members to provide appropriate support.
- At own initiative (not required), attend program events and field trips.
- Liaise with junior deans of the ‘associate’ colleges (Brasenose, Corpus Christi, Magdalen) as appropriate, especially with regard to student behavior.
- Other duties as assigned; especially the possibility of additional hours Monday- Friday 2:30-8 PM as needed or able.
Education and Experience
Undergraduate University degree or equivalent.
Minimum of one year experience with resident assistant support, student and academic services support is desirable but not essential.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to attend the residence late in the evening
- Ability to attend a first-aid course as arranged by the center
- Ability to accommodate flexible hours during student presence at the residence
- Will complete an on-line Stanford Resident Assistant course in the Spring quarter prior to active assignment at the residence
- Will attend a two-week Resident Assistant course on the Stanford University campus in California, as travel allows.
- Strong English written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated familiarity with, sensitivity to and respect for the diverse cultures and communities of Oxford
- Ability to exercise patience and flexibility when dealing with a wide and diverse group of students, faculty, staff and outside constituents
- Ability to serve as a role model for responsible behavior and personal integrity
- Must have a valid student visa to work up to 20 hours per week in the United Kingdom OR Must be authorized to work in the United Kingdom at time of hire
- Will work variable hours, evenings or weekends
- May travel locally and/or internationally with occasional overnight travel
- At the time of hire must be legally authorized to work in the United Kingdom.
- Must comply with all visa, work authorization, and tax related laws and regulations as a condition of employment.
To Apply Please Supply: CV, Covering letter, and one letter of reference from your D.Phil supervisor to the Academic and Student Services Administrator Kimberly Marsh at email@example.com
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 4 March 2022
INTERVIEWS: Hilary Term 9th Week
START DATE: 1 September 2022
Stanford University is one of the world's leading research and teaching institutions. Our mission is to educate future leaders and promote interdisciplinary, world-class research and teaching. A key aspect of this is to provide serious international educational opportunities to our students. Sustaining and developing these rich offerings is an intensely creative, rewarding, and challenging project.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information about Stanford BOSP in Oxford, please visit: