Blue & Gold Fleet is San Francisco's premier provider of ferry and water excursions on San Francisco Bay. We are currently recruiting for a customer-centric and safety-conscious water enthusiast to join our operations team as one of our Deckhands.
Primary Responsibility: Perform deckhand duties on passenger cruise vessels to assist in operating the vessel safely, reliably, and in conformance with company policy.
It is understood that the following maintenance work may be performed while the vessel is underway to ensure the safety of the passengers, crew, and vessel:
- Assist in passenger embarkation, including counting passengers, selling and process ticket payments and attending to passenger safety.
- Respond to emergency situations while aboard the vessel, including firefighting; assisting in the rescue of a passenger overboard, and assisting passengers and other vessels in general rescue operations.
- Perform safety inspections, fire and man overboard drills.
- Perform routine inspections of the vessel and its components, checking on all operating and safety equipment as well as electronic components to ensure that the vessel is seaworthy in every respect.
- Ensure basic deck and vessel cleanliness is maintained at all times, including keep docks clean and free of debris, cleaning vessel furnishings, decks, restrooms, bulkheads, overheads, windows and vessel exterior as needed; emptying vessel trash.
- Perform routine maintenance and repair functions, including washing down of the vessel, washing of bulkheads and overheads, chipping and painting, shampooing of carpets, gangway hardware inspection with replacement and repair as necessary.
- Perform duties such as line splicing, inspection and replacement and maintenance of shackles, life float safety lines and overboard life rings, safety lines and safety nets for gangways.
- Conduct nautical operations such as vessel docking; casting off lines upon embarking and secure lines upon docking
- Rigging gangways
- Perform work in the engine room and assist in fueling operations, if necessary.
Please note that this is a Union position.
Blue & Gold Fleet is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Blue & Gold Fleet will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. For more information visit https://sfgov.org/olse/fair-chance-ordinance-fco.