Not only is Statesville Housing Authority a place to develop your career, it's also a place where you can contribute to your community over the long term. As our Maintenance Supervisor you will be responsible for supervising, hiring and training staff and completing maintenance for 700+ units in scatter sites throughout Statesville and Mt Holly developments along with 8 to 10 other staff. We offer a competitive salary with excellent benefits for this full-time position.
The supervisor provides technical and administrative planning and directs the maintenance, construction and safety programs of the Authority's public housing units. This position also oversees the maintenance and safety programs for contracted operations as assigned and assists the Special Project Manager with maintenance inventory.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The statements contained here reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload. The functions listed are also examples of duties that may be required and in no way imply a contractual agreement between the employer and employee or affect the at-will relationship between the parties.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides leadership and management for the maintenance department employees and activities, to include interviewing, hiring, and training employees. Plans, assigns and directs work, appraising performance, coaching, rewarding and disciplining. Addresses complaints and resolves problems.
- Completes work orders as required.
- Diagnoses and performs maintenance and repair on electrical, plumbing (including water lines), AC and heating systems, appliances (gas and electric), stairs, gates, fences, patios, railings, roofing, gutters, fasteners, tile carpet, flooring, walls, ceiling fans, interior/exterior lights, shutters, doors, cabinets, windows, sliding glass doors, water heaters, boilers (gas and electric), doors, deadbolts, hardware, mailboxes, locks, ceiling leaks, water irrigation systems, and tiles.
- Trains employees on HVAC troubleshooting, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, natural gas and fuel lines.
- Prepares maintenance action plan.
- Prepares and implements a preventive maintenance schedule, making sure schedules are followed.
- Maintains along with the Special Projects Manager the proper level of inventory and orders maintenance supplies as needed with the Property Manager's approval.
- Assists in planning improvement and additions to units.
- Assist fire and police personnel when they are called to units during and after work hours.
- Coordinates closely with the water/sewer, sanitation, street and lights departments of the City.
- Coordinates closely with the gas and other utility companies.
- Develops and implements safety programs with Safety Manager to ensure compliance with OSHA and other Federal, State and Local laws or requirements and the safety of employees and customer.
- Develops and maintains programs to ensure the security of the organization.
- Acts as a Safety Liaison, responsible for the thorough knowledge, implementation, training and enforcement of pertinent laws and EPA and OSHA regulations governing proper use, storage and management of hazardous materials including solvents, flamables, caustics and freon..
- Works cooperatively with Inspectors and provides support for departments overseeing physical improvements.
- Inspects and keeps required records of all fire safety code items such as fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, etc.
- Performs emergency work. Provides “on-call” coverage as scheduled and schedule flexibility to accommodate a 7 day work week.
- Handles resident’s complaints relative to maintenance work in a professional manner, provide excellent customer service.
- Assists Property Manager in all areas related to building maintenance.
- Keeps records as required of all equipment, materials and supplies.
- Performs other related work as assigned and according to the safety standards of PHA, OSHA and health codes.
- Obtains bids and interacts with vendors, remaining knowledgeable of competitive pricing of supplies and services.
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations. Uses reason even when dealing with sensitive topics and/or irate customers, de-escalating situations.
- Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Manages difficult or sensitive customer situations. Responds promptly to customer needs. Solicits customer feedback to improve service. Responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming. Maintains confidentiality. Listens to others without interrupting.
- Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Puts success of team above own interests.
- Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts responsibility for own actions.
- Leads the team: Manages, trains and coaches staff for process improvement and performance management.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of all phases of building maintenance such as electrical, plumbing, grounds maintenance, painting, heating and air conditioners, and gas.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions applicable to building maintenance.
- Ability to supervise subordinate personnel.
- Ability to plan and direct maintenance activities.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, building plans, technical documents, and to prepare simple shop drawings.
- Ability to cooperate and communicate with residents, outside agencies, and other employees.
- Ability to use both powered and non-powered hand tools.
- Ability to work in high places, cramped quarters, and difficult to reach places.
- Ability to lift relatively heavy objects, walk extensive distances, and to climb stairs at a normal pace.
- Ability to lift up to 100lbs. necessary for installation and removal of appliances.
- Extensive mobility and good physical condition, ability to kneel, crouch, climb, crawl, etc. to reach items in need of repairs.
- Ability to drive to and from job sites.
- Tolerance to all extremes of hot and cold weather and efficiently handle a changing environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from an accredited high school. Additional training in two or more specialties and/or associates degree preferred, HVAC Certified.
- At least five to ten years experience in maintenance in some form of multifamily building environment, with at least two to three years in a supervisory capacity.
- Familiarity with REAC and/or Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspections.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
This position is required to work in and out of apartments that are generally not accessible to the mobility and sensory impaired. The incumbent must have the ability to utilize standard maintenance tool equipment and access tight small spaces. The incumbent must have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Must be able to work on ladder, kneel for extended period of time, take stairs, and stand for extended periods of time.
- Possession of a valid State of NC Driver’s License and clean driving record.
- Must be insurable by the Authority’s fleet insurance carrier.
- Must be able to pass a background and drug test.
Statesville Housing Authority is centrally located in Iredell County, with our main office at 110 West Allison Street, Statesville, North Carolina. Statesville Housing Authority was established in 1968 to provide low income citizens with safe, clean, and affordable housing and help improve their quality of life. The Housing Authority operates as a business unit quasi to the City of Statesville through the Department of Housing and Urban Development, representing the US Federal Government. The City Mayor appoints the Board of Commissioners; we currently have a four (4) member board. The Housing Board governs the hiring of the Executive Director and has ultimate responsibility to ensure that the agency operates in compliance with HUD and Federal Government policies. The Executive Director acts on behalf of the Board, directing the day to day operations and ensuring that the vision and plan