The Stanford Center at the Incheon Global Campus (SCIGC) in South Korea is seeking a Research Scientist – Design Thinking and Smart City. The Research Scientist will be responsible for collecting data and analyzing the information in the area of smart and sustainable cities. The incumbent must possess strong organizational skills with high attention to detail and be able to work well both independently and as part of a team. A highly ambitious and motivated individual will have the opportunity to lead the development of independent research ideas and will be encouraged to develop research proposals and apply for grants in collaboration with other senior staff.
The Stanford Center at the Incheon Global Campus (SCIGC) is Stanford University’s sole research entity operating in the Republic of Korea. This position represents an opportunity to help develop and implement research projects using sustainable research in the area of smart city.
• Provide leadership and coordination of specific research center activities such as workshops and conferences.
• Research, design, and monitor key indicators to evaluate the smart and sustainable cities.
• Design, recommend and implement modifications to procedures and protocols in support of smart city research with respect to design thinking methodologies.
• Lead and/or contribute to conference, journal papers, presentations, and invention disclosures related to smart and sustainable cities.
• Provide subject matter expertise on the intersection of smart city, which may include design thinking methodologies, and sustainable finance.
• Aid in the design of new center facilities and equipment utilizing new concepts; develop, maintain, or replace equipment.
• Develop and document research center procedures; provide technical leadership interpretation of data analyses.
• Present designs, challenges, implementation details and results during periodic reviews and meetings with managers, staff, and project teams.
• Collaborate with other research staff and managers to identify and prioritize strategies to improve and implement research.
These duties may be amended from time to time.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in civil engineering, environmental engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, management, or a related field.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Must be legally authorized to work in South Korea.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience working in a team-based project from inception to demonstration across multiple disciplines
- Knowledge of and ability to apply advanced computational techniques to the area of smart city research.
- Independence in problem formulation and creativity in problem solving.
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Eagerness to learn new technologies and applying fundamental research to real-world problems.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Strong communication (oral and written) skills.
The Stanford Center at the Incheon Global Campus (SCIGC) is Stanford University’s flagship research center operating in the Republic of Korea. As a top-tier, global research institution in the heart of Silicon Valley, Stanford has a long history of international collaboration through research, education, and engagement. SCIGC, located in Songdo-dong, Yeonsu-gu, Incheon, is at the center of Stanford’s growing interactions with South Korea and Asia. Branching across seven schools and many research institutes, SCIGC is a Stanford-wide interdisciplinary research center initially engaging in smart city technology implementation, sustainable urban systems and wellness, innovative entrepreneurship methods and business models, and sustainable development and global economic competitiveness.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.