Are you looking for a position at a mission-driven, innovative organization with great benefits? If so, join Boulder Housing Partners! We are a PERA employer and offer great public employee retirement benefits, health benefits and more.
We build, own, and manage affordable housing in the City of Boulder, bringing together staff and stakeholders from diverse backgrounds to accomplish a common goal.
POSITION TITLE: MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN I
MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT MISSION:
To support the day-to-day maintenance operations for Boulder Housing Partners with the goal of providing excellent customer and risk management service to residents, staff, and properties.
OVERALL JOB OBJECTIVE:
Under limited supervision, assists higher classified maintenance technicians to perform a variety of semi-skilled mechanical, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and miscellaneous building maintenance tasks in the areas of maintenance, construction, and equipment operation for Boulder Housing Partners’ properties and facilities, and to perform related duties as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under limited supervision, assists in performing a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and repair tasks on Boulder Housing Partners’ (BHP) properties and units, HVAC equipment, electrical systems, plumbing, and appliances. This includes basic troubleshooting systems, performing simple preventive maintenance on equipment, and minor repair work on plumbing, electrical systems, and building structures.
- Performs a variety of interior and exterior painting, drywall repair, and carpentry on Boulder Housing Partners’ property and units.
- Assists Boulder Housing Partners Maintenance Technicians II and III, and/or contract repair persons (equipment mechanics, electricians, and plumbers) in a variety of maintenance and repair functions. This includes working on Boulder Housing Partners’ units, structures and grounds, as well as mechanical, electrical, plumbing, heating, or related systems and equipment.
- Performs irrigation, landscaping, snow removal, and other related duties as necessary to maintain the Boulder Housing Partners’ properties. Snow removal on-call duty is required on weekends and holidays. Overtime may be required on shifts determined by management.
- Uses tools and equipment in the performance of maintenance tasks including hand tools, power tools, electrical test meters and similar diagnostic tools, long-handled tools, welders, bench grinder and drill press, floor sander, grounds keeping equipment, and BHP vehicles.
- Follows set procedures for record keeping and completes relevant paperwork. This includes work orders and purchase orders.
- Interacts with residents using good communication, and customer relations skills at all times.
- May need to work after hours to assist Maintenance Technician II and III with the response to health, safety, or security risks at Boulder Housing Partners’ sites.
- With Maintenance Supervisor’s approval, will participate in the Boulder Housing Partner’s 24-Hour Emergency Maintenance System. This requires being on 24 hour-call for seven days in a shop rotation. This includes responding to emergency maintenance requests for units and buildings that may involve safety, life threatening, or security risk requests by residents, managers, and fire or police department. System requires quick response and ability to make dependable independent decisions. Over time may be required on shifts determined by management.
- May work with seasonal, temporary, or volunteer employees.
- Remains generally alert to conditions and events occurring at Boulder Housing Partners’ properties and anticipate needed repairs.
- Performs related duties as required by management to meet the needs of the BHP.
- Takes proper safety precautions, anticipates unsafe circumstances, and acts accordingly to prevent accidents. Work in all environments applying universal precautions in all daily routines due to medical hazards confronted within residents’ units. Responsible for the safety of self, others, materials, and equipment. Uses all required safety equipment.
- Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this job.
Generally, duties and responsibilities are listed from most to least critical or time consuming.
Boulder Housing Partners is committed to hiring employees who provide good customer service; our employees communicate courteously and responsively and provide effective and efficient service to the public and co-workers.
Building maintenance and repair experience, including demonstrated general working knowledge of carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and mechanical systems and equipment. Ability to perform minor troubleshooting. Previous stable and successful work history. Proven ability to follow set procedures for record keeping and complete relevant paperwork. Ability to work in an outdoor environment, in and around equipment, in areas of limited access, and confined spaces requiring standing, walking, bending, and kneeling. Ability to operate a variety of long handle, manual, and power tools and equipment. Upper body strength to lift and carry equipment and supplies as needed. Visual acuity and manual dexterity in using tools and testing/calibrating equipment. Ability to utilize all required safety equipment. Ability to work with limited field supervision. Ability and willingness to take additional related training offered by Boulder Housing Partners which may be required by state or federal regulations. Valid Colorado driver’s license and acceptable motor vehicle record. Acceptable background information, including criminal background history.
Good communications skills. Ability to interact with diverse tenant population. Completion of trade school or formal apprenticeship training program in one or more general building trades. Bilingual and/or proficient in Spanish.
Physical Demands: This is a moderate to heavy labor position, requiring significant physical exertion to perform job duties. Requires the ability to lift up to 60 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, use hands and fingers to handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, lift, carry, walk and stand. Frequent hand/eye coordination to operate tools and equipment; vision for reading, recording and interpreting information; speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with staff and vendors.
BHP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Hiring Range: $19-$21/hour DOQ
Founded in 1966, Boulder Housing Partners (BHP) is known for creative and award-winning approaches. BHP’s goal is to make living in Boulder possible and affordable, regardless of income. We are committed to fostering a healthy sense of community in every property we develop. We are an inclusive organization that operates creatively, decisively, and effectively, with strong and consistent values and an understanding that housing is as much about people as it is about place. We build, own and manage 33% of the total inventory of affordable housing in Boulder, making a strong contribution to City Council's goal that 10% of all housing is permanently affordable.
Our commitment to the organizational stewardship of assets involves fostering a caring and supportive work environment for our most valuable asset - our employees. We realize that our mission can only be realized with a team of dedicated and passionate people. BHP provides professional development opportunities as well as a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, paid holidays and personal days, as well as retirement benefits. Our culture promotes work-life balance and opportunities to engage in healthy lifestyle activities.
What it’s like to work with us:If your goal is to help build diverse and inclusive communities by providing homes, creating community and changing lives, consider joining us at BHP. We know our employees are our most important resource, in addition to rewarding and meaningful work we enjoy:
- Medical, dental, vision health plans
- Retirement benefits that includes PERA defined benefit plan plus 401k and 457 plans
- Paid life insurance
- Employee wellness program
- Long term disability
- 13 paid holidays per year plus vacation and sick leave
- Excellent work-life programs, such as flexible schedules, training opportunities, and more