East Central College has an opening for an Adult Education & Literacy (AEL) Volunteer & Orientation Specialist. AEL Specialist is responsible for providing program support to the AEL program, through managing new student orientation, training and scheduling literacy volunteers, occasional substitute teaching, and assisting instructors in AEL classrooms.
The AEL program serves 300 students per year. To learn more about AEL, click here.
Minimum Qualifications: (A comparable amount of training, education or experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
Completion of bachelor’s degree in related field and substitute teacher or AEL certification with DESE; and two years adult education related experience preferred.
Essential Tasks: (Employee must be able to perform the following essential functions to the satisfaction of the employee’s supervisor.)
- Manage the new student orientation process (including scheduling, administering tests, test scoring, data entry, and reports.)
- Recruit, train, and evaluate volunteers
- Coordinate with local literacy councils for fundraising and outreach activities.
- Represent the literacy council and AEL program as needed to partner institutions, local industry, and community organizations.
- Responsible for day-to-day activities and case management of AEL volunteer tutor program
- Maintain appropriate records for the program, student progress, volunteer hours and additional as needed.
- Substitute teach as needed.
- Support teachers and students on technical and scheduling issues
- Assist students from diverse backgrounds and learning levels with patience.
- Ability to travel to off-campus sites
- Monitor activity in the classroom to help ensure a professional and student focused learning environment.
- Assist with training of new AEL instructors to work with volunteer tutors and literacy students.
- Adjustment of hours involving evening and/or weekend work may be required.
- Perform assigned responsibilities, duties, and tasks according to established practices, procedures, techniques, and standards in a safe manner with minimal supervision.
View full job description here.
Benefits: ECC offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision and life insurance with no premium cost to the employee for employee only coverage. Missouri Public School Retirement System benefits, generous paid leave, ECC tuition waiver for self and immediate family and tuition reimbursement benefits for employee.
Position is grant funded. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Position is a level 201. Salary schedule can be viewed here.
East Central College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
East Central College is located about 60 minutes from St. Louis. Currently, more than 2,500 students are enrolled in a transfer or technical education program. For more information about East Central College visit, www.eastcentral.edu.
East Central College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Inquiries related to employment practices may be directed to Human Resources Director at 636-584-6710. East Central College is an equal opportunity employer and provider of employment and training services. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.