Research and Development Machinist
Kirkland, Washington - Full Time

Looking to machine precision prototype parts for metrology products that benefit society? Do you want to work at a highly stable company that values team members and work-life balance? We are looking for a Research and Development Machinist to support our engineering teams.


You will be part of a dynamic team to research and develop next generation dimensional metrology solutions to reach sub-micron levels of precision and beyond. Working in a 1-2 person prototype machine shop, you will be supporting engineers and scientists on improvements to current products or developing new products from the ground up. Your efforts will directly contribute to solutions that allow Mitutoyo’s customers to maintain high quality for the products that they manufacture.

In your role, 85% of your time will be spent discussing part requirements/tolerances with engineers, designing fixtures, CAM programming, setting up machine tools and machining parts. The remaining 15% of your time will be on ordering material/tooling, shop maintenance and participating in design reviews and team meetings. In addition, you will also collaborate and interact with many smart people both here and abroad and learn new skills.


We are looking for someone who is knowledgeable in machining and CAM. You are willing to apply creative solutions to difficult machining projects. You should have a willingness to discuss design and machining tradeoffs with colleagues. Communicating simply and clearly is vitally important.

For a list of required and beneficial skills and experience, see the job description at


The hourly wage range is $28.00-$35.00 per hour for Research and Development Machinist, $32.00-$42.00 per hour for Senior Research and Development MachinistThe successful candidate’s hourly wage will be determined based on job-related experience/ knowledge/ skills, education, and complexity and responsibility of the role. Benefits include 100% paid medical, dental, vision insurance (75% for dependents), 100% paid life and disability insurance, 6% matching 401k, 15 vacation days, 12 paid holidays, 10 paid sick days per year, and eligibility for performance based annual bonus. Additional benefits and details can be found at


Your work here will help make a positive impact on society. You’ll enjoy working in our casual and friendly environment with flexible hours and hybrid work model. You will get to work with a very intelligent group of people using our state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. We are highly stable and we’ll support your career development with training opportunities and our cultural focus on individual growth. You’ll love our excellent benefits package, including 100% premium-paid medical/dental/vision package and 401k with 6% matching contributions.


Mitutoyo Research & Development America, Inc. (MRDA), a wholly owned subsidiary of Mitutoyo Corporation, develops state of the art technologies and software that enhance people’s lives through-world leading metrology solutions. Our products are used to ensure quality in the automotive, aerospace, electronics, semiconductor, medical equipment, and machine tool industries. We are located in the beautiful Northwest in a modern well-equipped facility offering challenging work in a team-oriented & casual work environment. We provide great benefits. We work hard, play hard, enjoy life, and have fun.

For more information about life at MRDA, check out

MRDA is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. MRDA participates in E-Verify. Detailed information: E-Verify ( and Right to Work Statement (

(As of January 2021, we have changed the company name from Micro Encoder Inc. to Mitutoyo Research & Development America, Inc.)